Tuesday, November 11, 2008

U TUBE? and not on a river

I've just finished exploring a little bit with U Tube. No I think to myself, it is not about going down river on a tube. I guess that's really called tubing. Hey, I wonder if I could find a U Tube of Tubing. (Time Out) Yep there's U Tube tubing for your entertainment pleasure.

Actually I kept hearing about the Last Lecture by Randy Pausch. I had read his book, The Last Lecture and was interested to see if it was on U Tube. Of course, it was and I've been able to view the entire lecture. It was inspiring and thought provoking.



It takes just over an hour to view this, but it's a good one.

I started thinking about how U Tube could be used in library settings. Training of some sort comes to mind. Engaging the public on screens throughout our buildings with information comes to mind.

What I like about U Tube is the entertaining videos that can be seen. What I don't like is that probably in my lack of knowledge, I don't know how you post things on the site, how you edit, if there are easier ways to find what you might be looking for. I also looked at a few things on google videos. This maybe something I'll need to explore more in the future.

I watched several of the Columbus Metropolitan Library movies. I notice that the library is getting alot of air time with the local Fox news network. What I'm really wondering is why someone in the know at the library is not attempting to correct their subtitles and talking with the correct name of the library. Mostly I saw Columbus Public Library or heard Columbus Library. I hope that when levy time comes around, the news media has the name right. Seems like a small thing but with all the branding emphasis I think it's important. Plus there really are alot of libraries around the country called the Columbus Public Library. In the new Web 2.0 age I could see someone trying to do a little research on CML and typing in Columbus Public Library and not being able to find our website with the information they need.

No comments: